December 19, 2008

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I was fortunate enough last night to attend a special screening of David Fincher's opus The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It is a wondrous film in the sense that it does, effectively force one to wonder "what if"?

As it progresses, it begins to shift into American mythology territory. Only time will tell whether it can become a part of American mythology, or whether it will remain a date-stamped, albeit wonderful movie.

I've heard comparisons to Forrest Gump. I think that's fair - to a degree. Both are films about unique characters whose extraordinary lives overlap with extraordinary events in American history; and they were both written by Eric Roth. But that's where they end. Zemeckis didn't ask us to look any deeper with Gump. We were simply supposed to "ooh" and "ahh" at the special effects and weep at the end as lessons are learned. Fincher does go deeper, creating a world at once so like our own, and yet so very different. I loved the fact that once everyone around him got over it, no one seemed to question the fact that Benjamin aged backwards. It was simply the way things are with him. Benjamin doesn't shape history as Forrest did. He, like us, is shaped by it. This makes Benjamin a more approachable character than I ever found Forrst Gump to be. Oh, and we do get to "ooh" and "ahh" and some amazing aging special effects and make-up. So those who love technical stuff will have something go ga-ga over.

It's a strong entry. Fincher continues to mature as a filmmaker. With Benjamin Button, he re-shapes his resume. Does he pander a bit to the Academy? Sure; but it's much better pandering than anything Ron Howard has offered (note: I've yet to see Frost / Nixon). Along with Aronofsky, whose The Wrestler is another great film of 2008, their generation is proving to be fertile with bright visual minds who can re-shape the cinema even as they celebrate its roots.

Opening Christmas Day, Benjamin Button is worth the price of admission and more.

1 comment:

  1. Benjamin Button had my favorite movie quote for 2008. It changed my life in its beautiful simplicity:

    For what it's worth, it's never too late, or in my case too early - to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit; stop whenever you want. You can change, or stay the same - there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete