February 20, 2009

Oscar Traditions

How do you spend the Oscars?

I began never missing them in high school and I finally found fellow Awards show addicts, so I started hosting an apartment party - usually around a dozen people or so. In 1995, we watched and got so upset that Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction that we began an alternative voting system at the next year's party. They were called (by my dear friend Julie Thompson) The Bubakar Awards (which was my nickname in college...long story for a later post). Eventually, after friends began moving away after college, the Bubakars went online and had nearly 6,000 voters. I retired them at the beginning of the Indianapolis International Film Festival. Doing both was basically impossible (you try tabulating 6,000 votes).

BUT, what was fun was watching my traditional Oscar party evolve into what is now a fundraiser for the IIFF.

This year, I will be heading back to Indianapolis for the party. In a weird way, it started in my basement apartment in Bloomington, IN and now hosts a couple hundred. I laugh at the thought of trying to fit them all in that little dive.

Anyway, enough about me. I wanted to open a thread for the weekend to see what it is that you do for the Oscars.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be at the Oscar Night America Benefit for the great Belcourt Theatre here in Nashville :)

    http://www.belcourt.org/events?id=61819

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worthy of supporting, for sure!

    Tell Toby and the crew that I said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spending it right here in LaLa Land, watching from the House of Blues...then finding a creative way back home without taking Highland!

    ReplyDelete